Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Read 'em and Weep

These past few days I've been thinking a lot about books.

...What?! Okay, okay, I know, I'm -always- thinking about books. It's no surprise, considering I'll try writing one in a month or base an entire photography project around them.

To be more specific, I've been thinking more about the books that shaped me as a reader. Maybe it's due to the recent deaths of two of my favorite childhood authors: Diana Wynne Jones and Brian Jacques, both within the last month. In regards to Jacques, Salamandastron was one of the first full-length novels I ever read. I was so captivated by this book that I read it out loud to my brother, sparking an interest in reading for him. Martin the Warrior is the first book that made me cry. I was devastated to know that no longer could I look forward to the next release of the Redwall novels. Howl's Moving Castle by Jones made me an instant fan of hers in elementary school, and at once I went back to the school library to check every book of hers I could lay my hands on.

Pondering the way these two authors have shaped me as a reader, I thought about the other authors that have touched me in a personal way. I read approximately fifty books a year, and I always attempt to make it a mixture of the already well loved and the new and never tried. Who, for me, stuck out as I was growing up? Who shaped my reading interests early on and defined the genres as I know them?

I addition to the two names above, I'd also add Stephen King (featured on Day 13 of my photo project) and the Dragonlance series (photo project Day 8), the first for writing books that were not only terrifying but also -so- real, and the second for making me fall completely for the fantasy genre.

There are sososo many others I could name, but I could probably go on forever about books I love and why I love them. Instead, here's an interesting tidbit I found today: Amazon Kindle has a "Million" club, for authors who have sold over 1 million kindle ebooks. There are currently three authors in this club: Steig Larsson, James Patterson, and Nora Roberts. (Roberts, by the way, is the only romance author whose books I actively seek out, read, and enjoy!)

No comments:

Post a Comment

life.in.review: spring 2017

Ah, spring, or as I like to think of it, "BEES, AAGH, SO MANY BEES!" season. . mems .  The weather's been disgustingl...