Tuesday, May 17, 2011

3 Fantasy Flicks from the 80's

As part of the research for my WIP, I'm diving into the fantasy genre headfirst. To do this, I've decided to review and study some of the classic titles. This meant blowing the dust off my old copies of Tolkien's The Hobbit and The Dragonlance Chronicles by Margaret Weis and Tracy Hickman. Reading these old titles got me thinking about some of the fantasy movies from my childhood that also shaped my understanding of the genre. So I've queued up three classic fantasy films to get my imagination churning.

1. Ladyhawke (1985)

Taking place in medieval France, this story follows the plucky Philipe "The Mouse" Gastone (played by Matthew Broderick), a thief who through chance befriends a pair of lovers who are enchanted by an evil bishop's dark curse: the sexy and stoic Captain Navarre (Rutger Hauer) and the stunning lady Isabeau (Michelle Pfeiffer). Will Navarre make it past the guards to avenge his love and kill the evil bishop?

2. Labyrinth (1986)

Teenage Sarah (Jennifer Connelly) wants nothing more than to be freed from the constraints of home and having to take care of her stepbrother, baby Toby. But when the Goblin King (played by a super sexy cosplay worthy David Bowie) grants her wish, Sarah will have to battle her way through the Labyrinth to rescue her brother in time. Directed by and full of stunning puppetry by the master puppeteer Jim Henson.

3. Legend (1985)

Directed by Ridley Scott: The Lord of Darkness (Tim Curry) kidnaps Princess Lili and the last of the unicorns as part of an evil plot to end daylight and TAKE OVER THE WORLD! The only person who can stop him is forest boy Jack (Tom Cruise, scrumptious in tunics and wild hair) and the other magical denizens of the forest. Will Jack be able to save the princess and the unicorn from the clutches of the evil Dark Lord?

---

Although many amazing titles have come out since then, these movies and others shaped my early understanding of the fantasy genre. Many of the themes (love, good versus evil, unicorns!) still appear in today's movies, showing that some of my favorite aspects of fantasy (love, good versus evil, unicorns!) are universal and timeless.

Did anyone else notice all of my three movie choices started with the Letter L? Is this a sign I should have Lasagna for Lunch? I think so!

No comments:

Post a Comment

life.in.review: spring 2017

Ah, spring, or as I like to think of it, "BEES, AAGH, SO MANY BEES!" season. . mems .  The weather's been disgustingl...