Tuesday, February 14, 2012

YA Highway: Valentine's Day Lovefest!

From YA Highway: 

We're excited to spread the love---and not just the romantic kind!---to celebrate. Today we're giving all our readers the chance to make the day one about love by hosting a blog circus (with the same format as our Road Trip Wednesdays) encouraging you to write a Valentine blog post! Please link your blog post for everyone in the comments, then click around to see everyone else's lovely posts.


Honestly, I ❤ so many things, it's hard to focus on just one for this post! But for the writer in me, there is one yearly event that has contributed more to my writerly self than anything else.


From the NaNoWriMo site:
What: Writing one 50,000-word novel from scratch in a month’s time. 
Who: You! We can’t do this unless we have some other people trying it as well. Let’s write laughably awful yet lengthy prose together. 
Why: The reasons are endless! To actively participate in one of our era’s most enchanting art forms! To give yourself permission to write without obsessing over quality. To be able to make obscure references to passages from our novels at parties. To stop being one of those people who say, “I’ve always wanted to write a novel,” and become one of those people who can say, “Oh, a novel? It’s such a funny story–I’ve written three.” 
When: You can sign up anytime to add your name to the roster and browse the forums. Writing begins 12:00:01 November 1. To be added to the official list of winners, you must reach the 50,000-word mark by November 30 at 11:59:59. Once your novel has been verified by our web-based team of robotic word counters, the partying begins.


I first gave NaNoWriMo a shot several years ago. My first NaNovel was so awful, to this day I can't think about it without shuddering in revulsion. But something was kindled in me. The daily grinding out of words helped me learn so much:
  • That writing is WORK. Sometimes glorious, sometimes grueling, WORK. 
  • I gained a deeper respect for authors and what they do everyday. 
  • I connected with other writers from all over the world. 
  • That it's important to write everyday, even if it's awful. 
  • That I can do it. It won't be perfect, or even close to good sometimes, but I CAN DO IT. 
NaNoWriMo boosted my writing confidence tenfold. I participate every year and consider the NaNo community my main writing community. It's thanks to NaNo that I can now achieve my daily writing goals.

Bonus: There's a V-day post over on the NaNoWriMo blog today! It's where I got the adorbs candy heart image above.

Can't wait to read everyone else's post today. Happy V-day, everyone!

14 comments:

  1. My only gripe about NaNoWriMo is that it's in November. Do you know why that is? Especially in the US, November is already a busy month (Thanksgiving, weeks away from Christmas, etc.). Other than that, it is a great idea, and I know countless writers have benefited from it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Founder Chris Baty does give several reasons for it in his book and on the website, including the lousy weather and it's when he and a handful of friends got together and held the very first noveling month.

      There's now Camp NaNo, which is more low-key and takes place in both July and August. I'll be over there too if you head that way! :)

      Delete
  2. Aw, this is great! I'm so glad NaNo inspired you, and continues to inspire you! It's made a difference---a good one!---in so many people's lives. (I love the candy heart too!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm always floored by the positive testimonials you see on the boards. It's true that writing saves and NaNo helps people write.

      Delete
  3. I totally tanked in my NaNo pursuits, but I love the idea nonetheless. Who knows what next NaNo holds? :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've failed twice in NaNo, but it was all a great learning experience. There's always next time!

      Delete
  4. I'm glad Nano turned out so well for you. I realized it wasn't for me when I tried it last year and prefer to write without it. We each definitely need a writing plan, a boost, and a support group. I'm so glad you found yours!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's great that you tried it, even if it wasn't your cuppa. :)

      Delete
  5. NaNo was a total fail for me this past year, but that's awesome that you are so dedicated to it! Sometimes just KNOWING that you can do something is half the battle :)

    Happy Valentine's Day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've failed a couple times at it myself. Now I've learned to go into it as sort of a "for fun" writing exercise. I learn a lot, meet great folks, and write a lot of (bad) prose.

      Delete
  6. nano is amazing, isn't it? i've been coming back to it every year since 2001, and every year, even when i lose (which is often), i gain so much from it. happy valentine's day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Even in losing we learn so much. Happy day!

      Delete
  7. NaNo inspired me when I first started writing too! I'm so thankful to have it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is inspiring, most of the people there are upbeat and friendly. Maybe I'll see you around the forums!

      Delete

life.in.review: spring 2017

Ah, spring, or as I like to think of it, "BEES, AAGH, SO MANY BEES!" season. . mems .  The weather's been disgustingl...