Tuesday, June 12, 2012

pencil & paper





I'm a high-tech kind of gal. I've got Apple products, I'm a multi-platform/console gamer, I'm into photo editing. It's safe to say I'm pretty into gadgetry.

But there are some things that I still do the old school way.

Outlining is one of them. Whenever I get caught up in a new story idea, I whip out a plan old composition notebook and start scribbling. And when it comes time to plan out scenes, I get out the trusty index cards and a pencil. Not even a mechanical pencil, you guys. One of those you have to sharpen.  (The pencil pictured here was sent to me by a NaNoWriMo pal last year!)

But I love the scritch-scratch feel of it across the paper or using the eraser to change around the chapter headings.


Are there any old school methods you still use in your writing process?

2 comments:

  1. I know how you feel! I do most of my writing on the computer, but almost all of my planning is done in a spiral notebook. I carry that notebook with me and jot down notes until I have enough for a novel. Only then do I go on the computer and type up my notes so that I can make a coherent outline, and that's only because it's easier to go back in and add in a note that I forgot on paper than it is on paper. I haven't tried index cards yet, though I think I might for my next project. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll admit, sometimes I don't even have index cards. I'll take plain notebook paper and cut it up into little slips!

      Delete

life.in.review: spring 2017

Ah, spring, or as I like to think of it, "BEES, AAGH, SO MANY BEES!" season. . mems .  The weather's been disgustingl...