Thursday, December 27, 2012

2012 end of the year book survey

[via Jamie @The Perpetual Page Turner]


Best In Books 2012

1. Best Book You Read In 2012?

The Book Thief by Marcus Zusak. Gave me ALL THE FEELS.

 3. Most surprising (in a good way!) book of 2012?

Extras by Scott Westerfeld. Reads like a standalone, and it turned out to be my favorite of the 'Uglies' series

 4. Book you recommended to people most in 2012?

Cinder by Marissa Meyer. Cyborg Cinderella, taking place in future China.

 5. Best series you discovered in 2012?

A Game of Thrones by George R. R. Martin. Brace yourself!

 6. Favorite new author you discovered in 2012?

Tahereh Mafi, author of Shatter Me. Such a unique writing style. Plus, she is one cool lady!

7. Best book that was out of your comfort zone or was a new genre for you?

The Fault in Our Stars by John Green. I'd normally say 'not my kind of book.' But John Green's storytelling is undeniably engaging, and the book went beyond all my expectations.

If you think this might not be 'your kind of book,' I suggest you give it a try. Like me, you may find yourself pleasantly surprised.

 8. Most thrilling, unputdownable book in 2012?

Academ's Fury by Jim Butcher. Epic fantasy + zombies!

 9. Book You Read In 2012 That You Are Most Likely To Re-Read Next Year

Happier at Home: Kiss More, Jump More, Abandon a Project, Read Samuel Johnson, and My Other Experiments in the Practice of Everyday Life by Gretchen Rubin. I loved The Happiness Project and this book is a great companion to the first.

10. Favorite cover of a book you read in 2012?



11. Most memorable character in 2012?

Day, from Legend by Marie Lu. Sometimes bad boy rebels are jerks, but Day loves his family, helps the less fortunate, and is a nice guy! An all around awesome protagonist.

 12. Most beautifully written book read in 2012?

Shatter Me by Tahereh Mafi
“I spent my life folded between the pages of books.
In the absence of human relationships I formed bonds with paper characters. I lived love and loss through stories threaded in history; I experienced adolescence by association. My world is one interwoven web of words, stringing limb to limb, bone to sinew, thoughts and images all together. I am a being comprised of letters, a character created by sentences, a figment of imagination formed through fiction.” 
13. Book that had the greatest impact on you in 2012?

The Book Thief. Books don't often make me cry. (I didn't cry while reading The Fault in Our Stars.) But The Book Thief?

I cried. TWICE.

14. Book you can’t believe you waited UNTIL 2012 to finally read?

A Game of Thrones by George R.R. Martin. Another series to get caught up on!

 15. Favorite Passage/Quote From A Book You Read In 2012?
“Ah, the outdoors,' Shallan said. 'I visited that mythical place once.”
― Brandon Sanderson, The Way of Kings
16.Shortest & Longest Book You Read In 2012?

Shortest: Barnaby Grimes & the Legion of the Dead by Paul Stewart and Chris Riddell, at 240 pages (hardcover)

Longest: The Way of Kings by Brandon Sanderson, at 387,000 words and 1007 pages (hardcover)

17. Book That Had A Scene In It That Had You Reeling And Dying To Talk To Somebody About It? (a WTF moment, an epic revelation, a steamy kiss, etc. etc.) Be careful of spoilers!

Daughter of Smoke & Bone by Laini Taylor. I found her world-building to be utterly enchanting and couldn't wait to talk to someone about it.

18. Favorite Relationship From A Book You Read In 2012 (be it romantic, friendship, etc).

Lola and her parents, from Lola and the Boy Next Door by Stephanie Perkins. It felt so natural and real to me.

19. Favorite Book You Read in 2012 From An Author You Read Previously

The Way of Kings by Brandon Sanderson. I was a fan at first read after picking up his Mistborn series.

20. Best Book You Read That You Read Based SOLELY On A Recommendation From Somebody Else:

The Host by Stephanie Meyer, which I borrowed from a friend.

 Book Blogging/Reading Life in 2012

9. Best bookish discovery (book related sites, book stores, etc.)?

My local library here in Hawaii! So happy to be living within walking distance to a library.
Also: BookOff, a local store that sells used books and media

10.  Did you complete any reading challenges or goals that you had set for yourself at the beginning of this year?

Barely creeped past half of my projected target. Maybe next year!

Looking Ahead…

1. One Book You Didn’t Get To In 2012 But Will Be Your Number 1 Priority in 2013?

Days of Blood & Starlight (Daughter of Smoke & Bone #2) by Laini Taylor

2. Book You Are Most Anticipating For 2013?

Unravel Me (Shatter Me #2) by Tahereh Mafi

3. One Thing You Hope To Accomplish Or Do In Your Reading/Blogging In 2013?

Catch up on several series (The Dresden Files by Jim Butcher, A Song of Ice & Fire by George R.R. Martin, The Inquisitors, The Eisenhorn and Ravenor Trilogies, Warhammer 40k, by Dan Abnett)

No comments:

Post a Comment

life.in.review: spring 2017

Ah, spring, or as I like to think of it, "BEES, AAGH, SO MANY BEES!" season. . mems .  The weather's been disgustingl...