Wednesday, October 1, 2014

[my writing life] gamify my writing: word sprint cards

Every time I start a new writing project, I'm back at square one. Maybe because it's been months since the last time. It's a long process for each step: brainstorming, outlining, drafting, editing, editing again, submitting. By the time I circle back around it feels like: Okay, here we go. ...How do I do this again?

I'm taking the time to refresh on the basics and learn new things. One new thing I wanted to try was gamifying my drafting. Drafting is my least favorite stage of the process. I quickly start feeling discouraged and dragged down by it. I wanted to experiment with ways to make it more of a fun challenge.

This week: Word Sprint Cards

I got this idea while admiring the way people keep track of their fitness goals on Pinterest. Some use marbles and jars, or clothespins on string, to count pounds lost. Others use popsicle sticks to get through daily exercise reps. It seemed like a fun way to mix things up, and gives a physical and visual method to tracking goals. (Plus: art project!)








I used what I had, but you could use just about anything. I varied my sprints between 10 and 15 minutes. If I completed them all, it would add up to 4 hours. 

If you make these yourself, please share a photo with me. Happy sprinting!

Gamify My Writing
one | word sprint cards
three | TBD

No comments:

Post a Comment

life.in.review: spring 2017

Ah, spring, or as I like to think of it, "BEES, AAGH, SO MANY BEES!" season. . mems .  The weather's been disgustingl...