This week: Word Sprint Dice
Standard word sprints entail choosing an amount of time (ten minutes, twenty minutes, etc.) and writing nonstop, typically using a timer.
To add a dash of the excitement, I combined timed word sprints with dice rolls.
Here's a sampler from the Spousebot's collection. Mixed sets can be bought in game shops, your local comic book store, or online. (I love this pink set!) You probably have some six-siders already at home from board games.
A few ideas:
- Roll one die, write for that number of minutes.
- Roll one die, multiply by 10 or 100, write that many words. (Ex: Rolling a 6 = 600 words)
- Roll two dice, the first being the number of minutes, the second being the word count goal. (Ex: In the picture below, I'd write for 16 minutes, with the goal being 400 words)
- Roll two dice, the first being the minutes you sprint, the second being the minutes you break. (Ex: In the picture below, I'd sprint for 16 minutes and then take a 4 minute break)
- Create a list of scene ideas. (Ex: Guy walks in with a gun; Lead character reveals a secret) Use the dice to randomly choose which one to use.
For timers, I love the one on my phone, which I usually combine with the Final Fantasy Victory Fanfare, or my trusty R2D2 kitchen timer.
Gamify My Writing
one | word sprint cards
two | word sprint dice
three | TBD